Friday, May 17, 2013

A New Way of Life

My husband has been calling me a hippy. With my hippy medicine, which led to my crazy cleaning products (or lack of products, as the case may be) and then finally the final step is our food.

The way we eat is our way of life. So this past 6 weeks we have been slowly making our way to "clean eating." Also called "Real Food," this is a complete change from the couponing crazy person I used to be. I am learning that it is OK to spend money on food, slowly. The cost of fruit and vegetables is much higher than the bag of chips, or box of cookies. The grass fed organic meat is 2-3 times what my cheap sale meat was. 

Since the cost of meat is one of the biggest differences to our budget, we will also be cutting out a majority of the meat that we are used to consuming. We are now what is called a "Flexitarian," we are semi-vegetarian. We have a plant based diet with an occasional inclusion of meat.

I did the great fridge clean out today, getting ready for the fun of the farmer's market, and a Whole Foods shopping trip today. My poor fridge looks really sad right now... We have a few blocks of cheese, (which are left from before the craziness became excessive :) My husband has the last of his sugar sweetened tea, and the minimal condiments that are still OK. Cage free eggs, even though they were purchased at the enemy. I am actually hoping to pick some up at the farmers market.

I am really looking for a good dairy source. I want whole, local, organic, grass fed cows milk. I am hoping to find that too. I am not sure if that is a reasonable option in this area of the world.

We are still on a budget, that hasn't changed, but what we eat certainly has. 

I will be posting snippets of how it is going, what we are buying on our budget, what I am cooking, and how we are feeling. The goals for us are: weight loss for me, and a drastic change in my 5-year-old's behavior


Welcome to Real Food on my blog!!! 


1 comment:

  1. I know they sell local milk and the local grocery down the street from my office. You should be able to find something.

    ReplyDelete