Friday, May 24, 2013

The Challenge: Balance

How do you find the balance between being a crazy psycho parent who doesn't let their kid eat any sugar, and a parent who lets them eat anything. I am trying hard to find a balance. I know what he eats when I am home, but while I am at work, there is no telling what he is eating. He is with daddy, or Grammy, and their choices might not be what I would like. Do I want to be obnoxious and make him a lunch to eat while I am at work? Do I just throw everything I have been trying out the window?

I need a balance. I need to find a good middle ground.

My husband isn't fully on board with everything I am doing, and wouldn't even be doing it if it weren't for me. He wants soda, Spaghetti O's and Oreo's. I want them to want water, fruit and veggies, and whole grains.

If it's not easy they won't eat it. Hubby won't cook, and Eli isn't picky. Eli is content to eat cereal(leftover from before) all day. Easy, instant, real food. That's what I need.

How do I decide on a good balance between "crazy" and "normal"? I really don't want Eli to be left out of anything, but I really want him to know what choices are healthy and good for him. I want him to make the right decision.

OK, anyway, we are struggling with cooking everyday. I am realizing that making everything from scratch every night isn't really an option with working so much. I am finding that we are eating quick unbalanced meals, because nothing is prepped, and by the time I get home from work, I am way to tired to spend an hour minimum to cook. To solve this problem, I am going to do most of this weeks prep work this weekend, and try to freeze most of the meals so that it will be easier for the week. I am also going to make rice and several different beans for the freezer.

This weeks menu:
  • Lentil Chili with Baked Potato
  • Quiche
  • Butternut Squash Ravioli
  • Black Bean Quesadillas
  • Pizza
  • Roast Chicken
  • Chicken Soup
  • Stuffed Peppers
  • Pork Chops with Dijon Mushrooms
Here's hoping for a successful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment