Friday, May 17, 2013

To The Farmers Market

It's the first time this year, the farmers market just opened last week! I love the idea of getting my stuff from local growers. It's better for you, because it is fresher, and its kind of fun to walk around and see all the produce that everyone has put so much hard work into.

We didn't get much, but what we got was awesome! We got local honey, while expensive, it is way better than store bought. Eggs, sweet potatoes, and butter lettuce were the other things that I felt were cost effective. I also bought 2 tomato plants, and I'm really hoping the survive, it would be really nice to be able to can some tomato sauce this year.

We never made it to Whole Foods, since we spent more than the $75 we have for the week, between the Farmer's Market ($16), Publix ($15), and Target($54). We have lots to eat, so hopefully we make it to next Friday.

The only thing I'm worried about is that we haven't had to purchase meat, since we are using what is in our freezer still. Hopefully I will continue to be able to find some really good sales at Target.

Our first meatless dinner was an epic fail. I have learned that just because it's on Pinterest, doesn't mean it works... We ended up having Ants on a Log(celery, peanut butter, and raisins) and roasted broccoli. Eli did eat some of the macaroni and cheese I tried to make, but neither one of us were thrilled with it. Roasted Broccoli is the MOST AMAZING thing ever!!! I hate broccoli, but not this. Eli and I ate the entire head of broccoli!!!

Roasted Broccoli

1 head Broccoli
Olive Oil
Salt

Chop and wash broccoli into bite size pieces. Make sure its dry, and drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt(I used kosher) Roast at 400* for 20-30 minutes or until tender.  EAT!!! ENJOY! MAKE IT AGAIN!

Next time I will take a picture, but I was too busy eating it to stop and take a picture. Oh well, next time I will pause...

No comments:

Post a Comment